SUMMARY OF MEASURES ADOPTED BY SPAIN TO ADDRESS FINANCIAL IMPACT OF COVID-19
Summary of measures adopted by Spain to address financial impact of COVID-19
1. The Spanish government issued Royal Decree-Law 7/2020, of 7 March, adopting certain urgent measures to respond to the economic impact of the COVID-19
The Royal Decree-Law includes five chapters on measures covering different areas such as health, family, tourism, finance and Public Administration. We have summarized below the key measures that deal with the financial impact.
- Measures for transitional financial support:
Deferral of tax debts.
Deferral of the payment of tax debts corresponding to tax returns-assessments and self-assessments which filing and payment period ends after the entry into force of this Royal Decree-law and before May 30, 2020.
This deferral will also be applicable to the following tax debts:
- Debts from withholding or instalment payments.
- Instalment payments of Corporate Income Tax (Impuesto sobre Sociedades).
- Tax debts deriving from output taxes that have to be legally charged (mainly VAT).
To be able to benefit from the deferral, the debtor, being an individual or entity, should not have an income exceeding EUR 6,010,121.04 in 2019.
Requests for deferral of tax debts below EUR 30,000 may be made without contribution of guarantee, and no interest should be accrued during the first three months provided that the deferral accounts for a period of up to 6 months and is requested before May 30, 2020.
The Spanish tax authorities (Agencia Estatal de la Administración Tributaria) have shared on their website the provisional instructions to request the deferrals according to the Royal Decree, which can be accessed through the following link: Instructions for the deferrals AEAT
2. The Spanish government issued Royal Decree 463/2020, of 14 march, which declares the State of Alarm to deal with the health emergency caused by the COVID-19, for a period of 15 days.
We have outlined below the main measures relevant for purposes of our tax activities:
Suspension of administrative deadlines
With regards to proceedings before entities belonging to the public sector, deadlines will be suspended and periods interrupted until the expiration of Royal Decree 463/2020 (i.e. 29 March 2020), subject to the possibility of extension.
- Suspension of the statute of limitations
The statute of limitation and expiration periods of any actions and rights will remain suspended during the term of the state of alarm and during any extension period.
- Suspension of procedural deadlines
Terms are suspended and deadlines for all jurisdictional orders are suspended and interrupted. The computation of the periods will be resumed at the moment the Royal Decree or, if applicable, its extensions, cease to have effect.